Galway County Council has confirmed to me that the N59 Letterfrack Scheme has been awarded to P&D Lydon with the contractor due on-site at the start of November. It is anticipated that construction will take place over 30 weeks.
The works include for the following:
- The realignment of road is approximately 0.3km in length and involves the construction of a new standard 6m carriageway, 0.5m hard strips and verges of approximately 2m to 3m
- Improvement / realignment of the access road to Connemara National Park
- Earthworks, drainage and pavement works, and the excavation of a large quantity of rock.
In relation to the N59 Maam Cross to Bunnakill Scheme, Galway County Council has confirmed that permission has been approved for the awarding of the construction contract for this scheme. The contractor is expected on-site at the start of November with a 18 month construction period and the works include:
- The realignment of approximately 5.2km and comprises the construction of a new carriageway which varies from 7m to 8m in width, 0.5m hard strips and verges that vary from 2m to 3.3m in width
- Local road improvements/realignments
- Improvement of public road junction layouts including 1 new bridge and 3 retaining walls
- Various piped/culverted watercourse crossings as well as earthworks, drainage and pavement works.