31st May 2011
New ‘Springboard’ college courses for Galway’s job-seekers
Fine Gael Galway West Deputy Seán Kyne is urging jobseekers in Galway to consider availing of one of 13 new courses which the Minister for Education and Skills, Ruairí Quinn has launched as part of the Government’s Job Initiative.
Called ‘Springboard’, the scheme provides some 6,000 new higher education places specifically set aside for jobseekers. There is no loss of social welfare payments while undertaking the courses which cover areas including IT, business studies and enterprise development, innovation management and environmental sustainability.
Commented Deputy Kyne: “The courses under Springboard demonstrate the practical commitment from the Government to help jobseekers gain new skills or update existing ones. The subject areas being provided by GMIT and NUI Galway will result in skills and qualifications in sectors which are well positioned to grow and provide new jobs.
“The fact that jobseekers can retain the payments provided by the Department of Social Protection when enrolled on these new courses reflects the understanding that jobseekers need support and assistance while retraining and up-skilling.
“I am certain the new higher education courses will prove to be very beneficial and I urge jobseekers to give careful consideration to applying to participate in one, either locally or at other locations.”
The Government has set up a website – www.bluebrick.ie – for potential students to find more information or to apply online.
Springboard Courses in Galway:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Degree in Energy Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Ordinary) Energy Engineering
- BSc (Honours) Bio-Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Science (Distance)
- BSc (Ordinary) in Computing (Software Development)
- Higher Certificate in Business in Computing Applications
- Higher Certificate in Business Studies & Enterprise Development
- Diploma in Innovation Management
- Diploma in Technology Commercialisation
- Foundation Course in Science Technology & Engineering
- Specialist Diploma in Environment Sustainability
- Specialist Diploma in LEAN & Quality Systems
- Specialist Diploma in Medical Device Science