Childcare services in Galway are to receive €536,710 in extra funding from the Government. The funding will be used to provide more than new childcare places, maintenance and building work as well as outdoor play areas and is available for immediate draw-down by providers here in Galway.
The provision of quality, affordable and accessible childcare is a very high priority and helps ensure local children get the very best start in life.
Among the childcare providers to receive funding are:
- Ionad Churam Leanaí An Spidéal Teo
- Forbairt Chonamara Láir Co-operative Society
- Comharchumann Forbartha Inis Mór Teo
- Connemara West PLC
- Corrandulla Community Resource Centre Ltd
- Ballybane Rainbow Community Childcare Centre Ltd
- Inisbofin Development Company
- Doorus Community Montessoiri School
My Government colleague, Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone, said €8.4m in capital funding has been allocated through the Department of Children and Youth Affairs to 683 pre-school providers nationwide; an increase in €4.4m on the amount announced for this programme in March 2017.
This funding will benefit children, families and providers under our Early Years programmes and joins other progress to help reduce childcare costs including: the free pre-school year, and subsequently extended it to a second year, and the Paternity leave for the first time ever. Dads are now entitled to two weeks’ paid leave
From September an estimated 70,000 children nationwide will get extra supports. Families will benefit in two ways:
- First there is a universal support for all children aged 3 and under then there are supports for those families who need it most.
- The second targeted support is based on income and also for those parents who have had to turn down jobs, training and education because they cannot afford childcare.
I encourage parents to take the time to study the increased supports which are available and prepare for the autumn, by checking out the new website www.affordablechildcare.ie or by talking to staff at your local childcare centre.