Irish Water has now published a draft of the first integrated plan for the delivery of water services in Ireland. This plan is called the Water Services Strategic Plan (WSSP).
The document addresses six key themes:
- Customer service,
- Clean safe drinking water,
- Effective management of wastewater,
- Protect and enhance the environment,
- Support social and economic growth and
- Invest in our future.
The Water Services Plan is an essential part of ensuring the availability of safe drinking water. It will ensure that we have an environment that is protected from the impacts of wastewater discharges, and that we have efficient modern systems that meet the needs of customers, contribute to economic growth and development, and provide value for money.
The Plan has a significant number of aims including:
- Manage the quality of drinking water from source to tap to protect human health
- Manage the availability and reliability of water supply now and into the future
- Manage the affordability of water supplies
- Manage the operation of wastewater facilities in a manner that protects environmental quality
- Manage the availability and resilience of wastewater services now and into the future
- Manage the affordability and reliability of wastewater services
- Ensure that Irish Water services are delivered in a sustainable manner which contributes to the protection
of the environment
- Operate our infrastructure to support the achievement of water body objectives under the Water
- Manage all our residual waste in a sustainable manner
- Support national, regional and local economic and spatial planning policy
- Facilitate growth in line with national and regional economic and spatial planning policy
- Ensure that water services are provided in a timely and cost effective manner
- Manage our assets and investments in accordance with best practice asset management principles to
deliver a high quality, secure and sustainable service at lowest cost
- Invest in our assets while maintaining a sustainable balance between meeting customer standards,
protecting the environment and supporting the economic development and growth of the country
- Establish a sustainable funding model to ensure that Irish Water can deliver the required capital
investment in order to achieve the required outcomes
- Promote research and utilise proven, innovative technical solutions to meet standards set by our
regulators including our objectives for cost and energy efficiency.
From the Plan the scale of the challenge facing Irish Water to provide a clean, safe water supply and to deal with wastewater in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly way becomes clear. Decades of under-investment means that substantial investment is now required to achieve this.
Responses to the consultation can be made online at http://www.water.ie/about-us/project-and-plans/future-plans/
by email to email@example.com or posted to the address below:
P.O. Box 860
South City Delivery Office
The closing date for receiving responses is Friday 17th April 2015.